ohio and kentucky marriage licensing

The following information is for general information purposes only and is not guaranteed to be legally correct nor is it meant to be legal advice. Please remember you will need a marriage license from the state in which you will be married. Please check with the appropriate jurisdiction for specific requirements. This information was posted in September 2016.

Getting an OHIO Marriage License: The Basics

Ohio marriage licenses are obtained at the probate court located in each county. In order to get the license, one of you must live in the county where you are seeking the license, or, if neither of you are from Ohio, you must go to the county where you are getting married.

Both of you must go to apply for the license together. You may be asked to provide the following:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Photo Identification

You are asked to state the following information, under oath:

  • Name 
  • Age
  • Address
  • Social Security number
  • Occupation
  • Place of birth
  • Father's name 
  • Mother's maiden name
  • Name of expected officiant

Each county probate court sets their own marriage license fee, so this amount differs from place to place. Once you receive your marriage license in Ohio, it is good for 60 days.

Getting a Kentucky Marriage License: The Basics

Though Kentucky marriage licenses are issued at the county level, you can go to any county clerk's office to get your marriage license. This document is then valid in any county located in the state of Kentucky. Your marriage license is valid for 30 days from the date it was issued.

When you apply for your license, bring the following items:

Your partner: Both members of the couple are required to be present

Identification (driver's license, state ID or passport)

Marriage license fee ($35.50 as of 2016)

Kentucky has no waiting period, and no blood tests are required to obtain a marriage license in Kentucky. Cash, check and certain major credit cards are accepted for payment. After your Kentucky wedding ceremony, return the license via mail or in person to the county clerk's office